6/30/2011

Light Pole

I 

What is this place
I am in?
One foot in darkness
one foot in light?

What is this place?
Where dark buzzards circle
morning, noon and night ?

What is this place
I am in?
Where Amtrak trains whistle by 
unseen tracks
on the other side of the mountains?

II

I sit at the base of the light pole
All around me there are people
on the basketball court
Three Mexican-Americans are doing burpies
listening to soft rock music on the radio.

Across the basketball court
multi-colored Christians come together
to pray to their God.

While African-Americans slap
dominoes on the concrete tables
behind me
I sit at the light pole
reading Shakespeare.

© Spoon Jackson

Find this and fiftyfive other poems in Longer Ago - Poems by Spoon Jackson
Published: 2010

Buy at
lulu.com

No comments:

Post a Comment